CUSTOMER IS THE KING…
“There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else.” Sam Walton
We all know that all companies generated their revenue from their customer, so it’s important for me to know what Ramayana’s customer said.
As of 1H 2016, Matahari Department Store stood as the market leader in Indonesia retail industry with market share about 37%, followed by Ramayana with 15%, and Mitra Adiperkasa 8%.
So, after interviewed Ramayana staff and supervisor, I am “hunting” some Ramayana and SPAR customer to ask them a lot of questions.
Almost 90% of them said to me that they think Ramayana has changed dramatically. Below, I summarized their opinions and also reason behind their opinions.
1. They no longer think that people who shopped at Ramayana is a lower-end class people, especially since it selling famous artists product.
( Again, image is so so important for Indonesia people !)
2. They think the quality of Ramayana merchandise is improving A LOT. They didn’t have much problem to pay higher for a better quality merchandise rather than buy a cheap merchandise with bad quality, for example, hot, shirt torn easily, has a lot of furry after washed / ironed, etc.
( In other words, you get what you pay ! )
3. They want to please their idols (famous artists) by wearing artists merchandise, take a photo of them wearing it, upload it on social media, tag it to their artist account, hoping their idol will take a look of it.
4. Now, they can easily know Ramayana latest promo via social media. Before Ramayana actively engaged in social media, they don’t know when and what promo held at Ramayana.
5. They think the supermarket has better layout and neat display than before. Supermarket is also selling more daily needs product than before. SPAR / Robinson selling price for many daily needs product (fruit, meat, milk, soap, shampoo, detergent, noodle) also slightly cheaper than competitors.
6. Hospitable staffs. Staffs is now asking what customers looking for, helping them to find product’s customer wants.
Some of them also told me that they can’t wait to buy Ramayana product via online. Ramayana knows that and already launched an online shopping partnership too with TOKOPEDIA.
Get closer than ever to your customer. So close that you tell them what they need well before they realize it themselves.” – Steve Jobs, Apple
Ramayana also doing a right promotion strategy. Many customers admitted that they know Ramayana new campaign via various advertising media such as TV on KRL (Commuter Line), Youtube, and radio.
I am quite surprised to see many positive comments on Ramayana advertising.
You can check more positive comments from Indonesia people regarding Ramayana advertisement on Ramayana’s youtube video
getting positive comments regarding their advertisement, that’s a great beginning !